A fritatta is simply the Italian version of the American omelette. The ingredients can vary and really include whatever you prefer. This version is a taken from a pizza on our menu; it’s a savory favorite with our bed and breakfast guests here at Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast .
A fritatta is simply the Italian version of the American omelette. The ingredients can vary and really include whatever you prefer. This version is a taken from one of our favorite pizzas. We make quite a few varieties for our bed and breakfast guests.
- 1 Link Chicken Sausage diced
- 2 Tbs red onion diced
- 3 Tbs mushroom diced
- 1 garlic clove optional
- 1/3 cup Asiago Cheese shredded
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tbs Sour Cream
- Olive Oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
Heat broiler to low and dice ingredients
Heat Olive Oil in nonstick 8 “ pan over medium heat. Sauté sausage, onion and mushroom, garlic (if using) and a pinch of salt and pepper until onions & red pepper nearly soft and corn begins to caramelize, about 3 mins, stirring occasionally. Add spinach and heat an additional 1 – 2 minutes until wilts.
- While veggies are sautéing, crack 4 eggs into bowl and whisk with sour cream until creamy.
- Turn heat to Medium Low and add eggs to skillet. Cook eggs stirring occasionally from the outside in until eggs are almost set.
- Remove skillet from heat and sprinkle cheese over the eggs.
Place under broiler and watch for about 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted and eggs are set.
Let stand ~3 minutes and cut in half.
- Garnish with cherub tomatoes and/or your favorite herb (parsley, basil or chives).
Enjoy with a side of herbed breakfast potatoes.
Note: If serving 4, double ingredients, use a 12” skillet and cut into triangles or for a group service, you can cut into squares.