Grilled Pizza has been a thing around here for many years. It started with a super thin whole wheat crust and our homemade marinara and we elevated to create some delicious and fun combinations. It’s on our menu year ’round, although we bring it inside in the very cold of winter and turn it into a calzone; same crust and same tasty mixes, just a different cooking method.
We like to share and it’s become so popular, we even teach a class around it!
Here’s our favorite pizza dough recipe. Come to class and you’ll learn all the sauces and combos, too!
Pizza on the Grill
Servings: Makes 4 Medium Pizzas, 12 individuals
1 Tbs dry yeast
1/8 tsp sugar
1 ½ cups warm water
3 cups flour (1 ½ c white and 1 ½ c whole wheat OR ½ c white and 2 ½ c whole wheat)
1 tsp ground kosher salt
1 Tbs olive oil
1. Combine water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl and let sit for ~10 minutes
2. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt and mix well. Add yeast mixture and mix by hand thoroughly.
3. Add olive oil and knead for about 2 minutes until dough is smooth. Turning under into a ball.
4. Return to bowl and cover with clean cloth. Let rise in warm area until dough has doubled in size (20 – 60 minutes)
Grill or Oven Choice: Preheat Grill to High (or Oven and pizza stone to 450°)
5. Punch down dough with your fist and knead for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Divide into 4 equal portions and roll into balls (extra portions can be stored in your refrigerator or freezer and thaw until room temperature before use).
7. Lightly dust work surface with flour. Work dough ball with fingers into about a 6 inch flat pie. Using rolling pin, roll out into a 10-12 inch crust or to desired size. Poke with a fork (or pizza perforator).
8. Sprinkle corn meal on a pizza peel and place pizza dough on peel
Directions for Grilling
9. Rub Grill with Canola Oil
10. Slide pizza from peel onto the grill
11. The dough will puff up as it heats
12. It will lift easily from the grill when it’s ready. Test it for your preferred done-ness/crispness and move it around (in case you have hot spots on your grill)
13. Using pizza peel or spatulas, flip to other side until done
14. Return to pizza peel. Top with sauce and toppings
15. Return to the grill, close grill and heat until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling
Directions for Baking in Oven
9. Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil. (Or use baking stone)
10. Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from oven, flip and then top with your favorite ingredients.
11. Return to the oven and heat until cheese is melted and sauce is bubbling