This Turkey and Kale soup is one of our favorites around here. We served it at our bread class and also our woman’s retreat. It’s healthy, filling and perfect for a cold winter’s day.
Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 4 oz can diced green chili
- 1 15 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 1 TBS + 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups finely chopped kale
- 2 cups or 1 15 oz can (BPA-free) pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 TBS chopped fresh oregano
- 3 TBS chopped fresh cilantro
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Chop garlic and onion and let sit for at least 5 minutes to enhance their health-promoting benefits.
- Heat 1 TBS broth in a medium soup pot. Healthy Sauté onion in broth for 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring frequently. Add garlic and ground turkey with a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue to sauté, breaking up turkey for another 5 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, chili, and broth to turkey mixture and bring to a boil on high heat. Stir in chopped kale, reduce heat to medium, and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Add beans, simmer for another several minutes and add herbs, salt, and pepper.
Cruciferous vegetables, like kale, are some of the most health-promoting vegetables around. This kale and turkey combination makes for a unique version of chili that is sure to become one of your favorite Healthiest Way of Eating recipes. Credit goes to World’s Healthiest Foods!