What’s your favorite fruit? Or what fruit is in season? That’s about all you need to decide when making chutney. That, and what you’ll be serving it with or on.
Our Spiced Chutney recipe won 2 awards at the 2022 Taste of Apple Jack festival – Overall Judge’s Choice and the Best Savory!
Apple Chutney on Pork Chops is one of our go-to dinners. A seasonal chutney can also be found on our charcuterie boards.
- 3/4 cup sugar or brown sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 4 cups fresh fruit 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup generous chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup dried tart cherries or golden raisins about 2 ounces
- Finish w/Zest of a lemon
Combine first 8 ingredients in heavy large Dutch oven. Bring to simmer over low heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Add rhubarb, onion and dried cherries; increase heat to medium-high and cook until fruit is tender and mixture thickens slightly, about 5 minutes. Cool completely.
Notes: Use your choice of seasonal fruit. A few of our favorites are rhubarb, peaches and apples. Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill. Bring to room temperature before using or simmer until warm if prefer - can add a little water to reach desired consistency.