Here’s a Fall favorite and one from our Charcuterie Board Class.
- 16 ounces of cream cheese plain or pumpkin spice flavored, room temperature
- 2 cups of shredded orange cheddar cheese
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice Optional if using pumpkin spice flavored cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika plus more for garnish
- 1 pepper stem, or fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
Using a stand mixer or sturdy spoon mix the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, pumpkin spice, cayenne pepper and paprika together until well combined.
Line a 1.25 quart mixing bowl with plastic wrap and press the cheese mixture firmly into the bowl. Cover completely with the plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least one hour.
Once the cheese ball is chilled, lift from the bowl with the plastic wrap and place flat side down on a work surface. Leave the plastic wrap around the cheese ball and with the tip of a butter knife carve lines down the sides to represent a pumpkin.
Lift the cheese ball from the work surface with the palm of your hand and gently move remove the plastic wrap. Transfer the cheese ball to the your serving platter. Use the butter knife to indent the carved lines even more to look like a pumpkin. Stick the bell pepper stem (or other fresh herb) in the top of the pumpkin shaped cheese ball, sprinkle with paprika and spread a few fresh herbs around it.
Can also make a variety of different sized cheese balls. Simply use different sized bowls when chilling. You will also need additional pepper stems, parsley or cilantro.