We love Alton Brown’s Hot Cocoa recipe! It’s a staple here at Whispering Pines Bed & Breakfast and available all year round. It’s super easy and delicious, too!
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar.
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder preferably Dutch process.
- 2 1/2 cups nonfat dry milk powder.
- 1 teaspoon fine-grain salt.
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
- 1 pinch (or more to tastground cayenne pepper* optional.
- Hot milk or water to serve.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder, milk powder, salt, cornstarch and cayenne in a large airtight container. Secure the lid and shake vigorously to combine, and remember to shake prior to every extraction.
- To serve: Place 2 tablespoons of the mix in a mug and add about 2 fluid ounces hot water or milk. Stir to combine. Fill the mug with more hot water or milk and enjoy.
It's also something the kiddos can mix together with minimal adult supervision.
During the holidays, we like to make candy cane marshmallows* to give it a little seasonal flare!
*create a glaze by adding milk to powdered/confectioners sugar, dip marshmallow in glaze and then in crushed candy canes.
For the adult version, take it one step further and add a little peppermint schnapps or peppermint flavored vodka!
In the Summertime, drink it by the fire pit and dunk in your s’mores crackers!