These are some of our favorite appetizers! Healthy and tasty with great texture. And, perfect for meatless Monday! If you’d like to watch a fun video of Jeanna making these with Roni and Carol on Nebraska TV’s Good Life morning show, follow this link.
A great mix of healthy and spice that equals a tasty appetizer or main course for Meatless Monday
- 1/2 cup reduced fat sour cream or yogurt
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small fresh jalapeno pepper minced
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 4 green onions thinly sliced
- 6 cloves garlic pressed
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers finely diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 14.5 ounce cans black beans (or 3 Cups), drained and rinsed
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 cups grated raw sweet potato
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- Optional diced Red pepper for color and crunch
- To prepare lime sour cream, mix the sour cream, lime juice, 1 small minced jalapeno, and salt together in a small bowl. Cover, and refrigerate.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook green onions until softened, about 1 minute. Stir in garlic, 2 diced jalapenos, and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.*
- Transfer contents of skillet to a large bowl. Stir in black beans, and mash with a fork. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in sweet potatoes, egg, and bread crumbs. **
- Divide into 8 balls and flatten into patties. (or make 24 small for appetizers).
In the oven, set cooking rack about 4 inches from heat source. Set oven to broil. Lightly grease baking sheet or place on parchment or silpat. Place bean patties on baking sheet, and broil 8 to 10 minutes. Turn cakes over, and broil until crispy, about 3 minutes more. ***
- Serve with lime sour cream
*Cooking ingredients helps soften vegetables and incorporates flavors, but can be optional if in a hurry
**I use the food processor to pulse bean then use it to grate sweet potato into same bowl, add other ingredients and pulse to combine
*** I bake @ 375 for about 5 mins on each side and finish off under broiler.