Serve this granola with yogurt and fruit for breakfast or a snack, for dessert over ice cream or layered with whipped cream and fruit as a parfait.
It took me about 3 years to develop this recipe to get the balance of wet to dry just right.
This is my doubled recipe and can easily be cut in half.
- 8 c. oatmeal
- 2 c. sunflower seed kernels
- 2 c. almonds slivers
- 1 c. walnuts
- 1/3 c. wheat germ – skip for gluten free
- 2 T. cinnamon
- 1 T freshly grated nutmeg
- **optional: dried fruit
- 1 c. oil I use grape oil, but you can use corn/canola/vegetable
- 2 c. honey or sub 1/2 honey with molasses or pure maple syrup
- 1 c. water
- ½ c. brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 T almond extract
Preheat oven to 350
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl
- Heat wet ingredients in a saucepan on medium until well dissolved.
- Pour warm mixture into a bowl with dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
Spread onto two cookie sheets lined with parchment paper (this allows easy pouring into a container once cooled) and heat in the oven for 25-30 minute, stirring after 15 minutes.
Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then stir or break into chunks. Optional: Add 1 – 2 cup of raisins, dried cranberries or your choice of dried fruit.
- Store in airtight container for 3 weeks.
- For granola bars, line a cookie sheet with parchment, bake at 350 for 30 minutes with no stirring. Cool almost completely. Flip bars and parchment paper onto cutting surface, peel off parchment and cut into individual size servings.
- Gift Ideas: Place granola in a jar, wrap with ribbon and attach recipe and serving suggestions. Wrap individual granola bars in decorative cellophane, tie with ribbon and attach recipe and serving suggestions.