We love making fun and unique frozen treats. This ice cream has become a staple at our holiday tea as the grand finale for your palette. It’s rich and creamy and oh so tasty. We always make a double batch to be sure there are leftovers to share.
- 3/4 cup whole milk well chilled
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1,5 cups heavy cream well chilled
- 3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- ½ cup crushed hard peppermint candies. See note
- In a medium bowl, use a mixer or whisk to combine the milk and sugar until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 to 2 minutes on low speed. Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla and peppermint extract.
We use a Cuisinart flavor Duo. Turn on and pour the mixture into the freezer bowls and let mixture thicken about 20 to 25 minutes. Add the crushed peppermint candies during the last 5 minutes of mixing. The ice cream will have a soft creamy texture.
If desired, transfer the ice cream to an airtight container and place in the freezer until it has reached your desired firmness.
NOTE: You will need 5 normal sized candy canes to equal 1/2 cup of peppermint candies. We've found buying a larger candy canes is a time saver when unwrapping and equals 10 normal candy canes. Roughly break candy prior to unwrapping and pulse in a food processor to further crush them.
Save a few of the bits to top your serving.
You can also use any extra bits to make candy cane marshmallows to serve with homemade hot cocoa.