You can buy nettle tea loose or in teabags, but this recipe is using leaves you grow and harvest yourself. We have nettle plants growing in patches around the property so make use of them for tea and for a pesto sauce.
You can enjoy this tea hot or poured over ice with some sweetener if desired.
With fresh leaves, experiment with the ratio of nettle to water you prefer. A general reference is two cups of water for every cup of leaves. Here’s how:
- 1 cup stinging nettle leaves - trimmed and cleaned wear gloves until leaves are boiled
- 2 cup water
Trim and clean the nettle leaves - wear gloves for this step
- Add water to the leaves.
- Bring the water just to a boil.
- Turn off the stove and let sit for five minutes.
- Pour the mixture through a small strainer.
- Add a bit of honey, cinnamon, or stevia, if you like.
Start out by only having one cup of nettle tea to make sure you don’t have any reactions to it.