- 1 TBS butter
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- ¾ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- ¾ cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 TBS hot sauce
- Coarse salt (kosher or sea) and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a heavy non-reactive saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until soft but not brown, about 3 minutes
- Stir in mustard, brown sugar, vinegar and hot sauce and add ½ cup of water.
- Let sauce simmer until thick and richly flavored, 6 – 10 Mins.
- Taste for seasoning and add more hot sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
We use as a mop sauce for BBQ smoked pork shoulder and then serve on the side, as coleslaw dressing, on charcuterie boards, sauce for Oktoberfest pizza, and finally, in our bloody mary mix!