If you’re looking for a unique twist on the classic scone, you’ll want to give this recipe a try. These savory scones are loaded with flavorful ingredients, including fresh dill and crumbled feta cheese. The combination of tangy and herbaceous flavors is sure to please any palate, making these scones a great option for breakfast, brunch, or even as a savory snack. Plus, they’re easy to make and can be customized to suit your tastes, making them a versatile addition to any recipe collection.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- ¼ cup fresh dill stems removed and finely chopped
- ½ cup unsalted butter cold and cubed
- ½ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, onion powder, and black pepper. Stir in the fresh dill.
- Using a pastry blender or two forks, cut in the cold, cubed butter until crumbly, and the mixture resembles small peas. Carefully stir in the feta, just until incorporated.
- Pour the 1 ¼ cup of cream into the mixture, a little at a time, stirring only until the dry ingredients have moistened and the mixture holds together when pressed.
- Transfer dough ball to a lightly floured surface and lightly knead. Gently press dough into an 8-in circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place wedges onto a parchment-lined sheet tray, leaving about 1-inch between each. Place the tray into the refrigerator and allow to cool for about 20 minutes.
- While scones are in the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 400° F. In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and a splash of cream. After 20 minutes, remove the tray of scones from the refrigerator. Brush each scone with the prepared egg wash (you will probably not use all of it).
- Bake scones for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until tops are golden. Store scones in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Egg Wash – mix together
• 1 large egg room temperature
• splash heavy whipping cream